Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Let your freak flag fly. But own it.

Back in 1992 the healthcare industry was in the throes of legislation being written to ensure the safety of employees, patients and visitors surrounding the fear of HIV and AIDS. Along with this came the overnight industries set up to sell product and services to comply with it. A lot of what was being "sold" just didn't seem legitimate to me so I decided to read Wisconsin's statute WI DNR 526. Now it just so happened that at this time I was taking my final college course on Shakespeare and the similarity between reading law and Othello were compelling - each word in its unique context lent meaning to the word preceding and following it; in different contexts each word could have several meanings.

In July, 2015 one of the issues being consumed and shat out by our media is whether the Confederate flag should be flown on public property and whether its representation should be sold by sites such as Walmart and Amazon. With the former the answer is obvious - no; with the latter it is less so, but - no.

Ok, let me stop here and just say I don't give a flying fuck what flag you fly. But whatever flag you fly, you own it. You may argue that your flag represents "pride" and "history", but please don't pretend to not know that your flag also represents "racism", "hatred", "terrorism" and "repression". (Interesting that as I wrote these last two sentences I was thinking of the Stars and Bars, but could just have well been thinking of the Stars and Stripes!!!) Nope, I don't give a fuck what flag you fly, but I DO give a fuck about my own integrity. So no, I am not offended that you fly the Confederate flag. Do I think less of you? Yep. Do I think you're ignorant? Yep. Do I find your flag offensive? Yep. Will I spend money at your business? Nope. Do I feel like your flying such a flag makes me less significant? Please, get over yourself.

I was told by someone close to me a few years ago that "the KKK isn't a racist organization...it's a white, Christian organization". I know she believed it. Every word in its unique context has a unique meaning you see, and thoughts and beliefs are the same. In her unique context the KKK was not a racist organization, but when she put this thought into another context, namely mine, it took on a different meaning. In my context "the KKK isn't a racist organization" meant "she is one ignorant woman". And you know what? I know that she's ok with that.

So fly your flag. Your Confederate flag. Your U.S. flag. Your freak flag. Just know that they have meanings beyond their unique meanings to you. Fly your flag and own it.

No comments:

Post a Comment